HRDR Special Issue (March 2023)
To continue our celebrations of Human Resource Development Review’s 20th anniversary (2022) and to inform future HRD research, we invite articles on qualitative research methodologies/methods for theory building. This special issue is scheduled for publication in March 2023.
Guest Editor: Dr. Jessica Nina Lester, Indiana University, USA
Proposal Submission: January 15, 2022
Full Manuscript Submission: June 15, 2022
This special issue of HRDR will expand the types of qualitative research methodologies/methods used by HRD scholars, as well as present innovative ways to use qualitative approaches and techniques to build theory in the field of HRD. The special issue seeks methodological articles (e.g., Braun & Clarke, 2006; Chang et al., 2013; Lester et al., 2018) that describe and illustrate:
- Traditional qualitative approaches (e.g., case study, grounded theory)
- Newer applications of “older” approaches (e.g., digital ethnography, counter-storytelling)
- Qualitative research methods that might have been used for interdisciplinary research
- Innovative, qualitative approaches (e.g., collaborative autoethnography) for theory development
Such a focus will serve to generate opportunities to envision new possibilities for engaging qualitative research methodologies/methods in the field of HRD. Further, the included articles will provide concrete suggestions and conceptualizations for how to use these qualitative research methodologies/methods. This will serve to generate a key resource for HRD scholars, practitioners, and students who seek to conduct qualitative research and to build theory in HRD.
All submitted manuscripts must be focused on introducing a qualitative research methodology or method for building theory in HRD. To that end, authors are encouraged to consider the following questions:
- How has a particular qualitative research methodology/method been used in the field of HRD?
- If the qualitative research method has not been applied within HRD, how could it be used to improve HRD research, and why?
- What are the core assumptions of this qualitative research methodology/method?
- What kinds of data are generated typically with this qualitative research methodology/method?
- How is data analysis carried out when using this qualitative research methodology/method?
- In what ways might this qualitative research methodology/method be used to build theoretical understanding?
- How might scholars who use this qualitative research methodology/method establish and defend the quality of a given study’s design and results?
- What are the limitations of this qualitative research methodology/method as related to theory development?
Full Manuscript Submission
We welcome proposals from authors in HRD and related fields. A proposal should include a rationale, an outline, implications, references, and author bios.
Format: A single-spaced, 12 pt. Times-Roman font, two-page word document including a rationale for the topic selection, an outline of the manuscript, implications for HRD research and practice, key references, and author bios (up to 150 words) at the end including names of all authors, affiliations, and contact information (e.g., emails).
This two-page word document should follow APA (7th ed.) style.
Timeline for Proposal
- January 15, 2022: Deadline for proposal submission.
- January 31, 2022: Contributing authors will be announced. The number of accepted proposals will be determined depending upon the quality of the submissions. Authors of the proposals that are not selected for the special issue will be encouraged to submit their manuscripts to HRDR.
- February to June 2022: Manuscripts will be prepared according to HRDR’s submission guidelines, including the main body, references, tables, and figures, following APA (7th ed.) style, in a maximum of 40 double-spaced pages.
- June 15, 2022: Full manuscript submission deadline.
- June to October 2022: Manuscripts will not be submitted for external blind peer review; instead, HRDR’s EB members who are not authors will review submissions. Authors will work on manuscript revisions with the review team led by the guest editor.
- November 1, 2022: Deadline for final manuscript submission.
- March 2023: Publication in the March 2023 issue.
For further information, see: https://www.ahrd.org/BlankCustom.asp?page=2021-Digest-September#HRDR